Software Development Engineer - Ethernet/IP
Location: San Diego, California US
Job Number: 9663
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow's transportation.
Ford Product Development is utilizing Design Thinking & User Experience methods to deliver breakthrough products and services that will delight our customers. Our employees are laser-focused on bringing innovative, exciting, and balanced ideas to life. From autonomy and electrification, to smart mobility technologies, our Product Development teams around the world are working together with excitement to make smart vehicles for a smart world.
We are looking for an energetic software engineer with genuine passion for developing robust in-vehicle networking software services and features for next generation fully networked, cloud-connected vehicles. You would be developing in a fast-paced agile development environment with cross-functional global teams using state of the art software development technologies. This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop and innovate Ethernet/IP networking solutions for Ethernet-connected Electronic Control Units (ECU) to enable in-vehicle and cloud connectivity.
What you'll be able to do :
- Review specifications and identify clear product requirements
- Design, code, and unit-test software components or features
- Perform design and code reviews
- Investigate, debug, and resolve software defects
- Propose and implement optimizations/enhancements to improve software performance/quality
- Support successful sanity/functional/integration test executions by reviewing test cases/procedures and educating test owners on the details of functionalities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 1+ years hands on experience with real-time embedded software development on Android and/or Linux RTOS (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
- 1+ years of experience in IP Packet Routing and Filtering (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
- 1+ years of experience in C++11 programming skills (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
Our preferred qualifications :
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Very good understanding of the following networking concepts: IP Packet Classification/Routing/Forwarding, IP Addressing and Assignment, IP Tunneling, Data Plane Processing, Packet Filtering, Firewalling, NAT
- Demonstrated working knowledge with 3 or more of the following networking technologies and its internals: Ethernet (Automotive preferred), VLAN, TCP/IP stack, BSD Sockets, DHCP, DNS, Networking Utilities (eg. ifconfig)
- Fundamentals of data structures and algorithms
- Experience with software development and collaboration tools: Git, IDE, GoogleTest, Gcov, Static Analysis tools, Jenkins, Confluence, JIRA
- Familiarity with Agile software development processes (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Experience in wireless connectivity solutions, such as Wi-Fi and Cellular
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Independent worker and capable of delivering multiple project commitments concurrently
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills in a multidisciplinary and multi-sited environment
What you'll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you'll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You'll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford's salary and benefits, please
At Ford, the health and safety of our employees is our top priority. Vaccination has been proven to play a critical role in combating COVID-19. As a result, Ford has made the decision to require U.S. salaried employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless employees require an accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or an approved medical or religious exemption.
Job Number: 59366BR
Community / Marketing Title: Software Development Engineer - Ethernet/IP
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US