ADAS/DAT Senior Mapping Localization Technical Expert (GIS Designer)
Location: Dearborn, Michigan US
Job Number: 8603
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow's transportation.
Do you have what it takes to make smart vehicles for a smart-world? Join the Ford Driver Assist Technology (DAT) team. Using Design Thinking and User Experience methods, you will work to deliver breakthrough products and services that delight our customers. We are seeking forward-thinking, laser-focused professionals with a passion for bringing innovative, exciting, and sustainable ideas to life. We have opportunities around the world for you to contribute to such advancements as autonomy, electrification, smart-mobility technologies and more!
What you will be able to do:
We bring engineering ideas to life. In Product Development, we make driving more exciting and enjoyable. Ford's Driver Assistance team designs and develops hardware and features that provide incredibly awesome customer experiences with features like BlueCruise, Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic Emergency Braking, Cross Traffic Alert, Active Park Assist and 360 Camera Systems. We are seeking seasoned professionals who can lead our efforts with experience in the development of sensors, ECUs, models and software. This position focuses on technical leadership in Mapping and Localization for all our Driver Assistance features, with a particular focus on our Active Drive Assist feature set, including BlueCruise our hands-free driving feature.
- Lead a team from a technical point of view in the development of the technical architecture, specification, modeling, and validation of map-based features & functions that provide higher level features critical services. This is a technical role and has no direct reports.
- Interface directly with feature owners, supervisors, and other Technical Experts to ensure feature-level requirements are decomposed and align with a scalable architecture to achieve the desired experiences for the customer.
- Interface directly with Technical Leaders inside Ford to align said scalable functional and software architectures with the broader Driver Assist and vehicle architectures. Ensure provided mapping and localization services scale across the entire vehicle line and across all global markets from base to top-trim programs.
- Provide technical guidance for algorithmic development and analysis of ideal functions for mapping and localization. Ensure cross-carline and within-carline noise factors are robustly handled to meet agreed-to quality-of-service metrics.
- Support technical roadmapping process to ensure technical enablers are integrated into long term plans for vehicle carlines. Work in the greater Ford ecosystem to ensure enablers are in-place to meet long term requirements and roadmap / vision for the DAT feature set, globally.
- Support functional safety deliverables for mapping and previewing per feature / function requirements.
- Support the enhancement of existing and development of new driver assistance features by collaborating with Research and Advanced, ensuring strong alignment of feature content, timing, and technology assumptions. Support PD processes to enable technology assumptions required by future lateral Driver Assistance features.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- 3+ years experience in software or algorithm design
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- Documented technical achievements through academic / peer-reviewed papers, patents, or other publications that show clear technical mastery of the domain.
- 8+ years of experience in Product Engineering within Geospatial Information Systems engineering (GIS), GPS, GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems), Navigation, Localization Technologies (IMU, INS)
- 7+ years of experience with core feature engineering & software quality assurance
- 8+ years of experience in map development for vehicle / roadway systems: road or lane-level
- 6+ years of experience in crowdsourced map development
- Experience collaborating with a team ~10 individuals on a complex project
- Experience with agile development methodologies
What you'll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you'll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You'll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you can help us redefine the future of automotive, we'd love to have you join us!
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford's salary and benefits, please visit:
At Ford, the health and safety of our employees is our top priority. Vaccination has been proven to play a critical role in combatting COVID-19. As a result, Ford has made the decision to require U.S. salaried employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless employees require an accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or an approved medical or religious exemption.
Job Number: 55634BR
Community / Marketing Title: ADAS/DAT Senior Mapping Localization Technical Expert (GIS Designer)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Dearborn, Michigan US