Solid State Battery Cell Modeling Engineer
Location: Romulus, Michigan US
Job Number: 10448
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow's transportation.
Do you have what it takes to make smart vehicles for a smart world? Join the Ford Ion Park team. Utilizing Design Thinking & User Experience methods, you'll work to deliver breakthrough products and services that delight our customers. We're seeking forward-thinking, laser-focused professionals with a passion for bringing innovative, exciting, and sustainable ideas to life. We have opportunities around the world for you to contribute to such advancements as autonomy, electrification, smart mobility technologies, and more!
What you'll be able to do:
Ford Ion Park (FIP) - Battery Center of Excellence is seeking a highly qualified Solid State Battery Cell Modeling Engineer to help design solid state batteries (SSBs). The successful candidate will support the team in developing innovative battery cell designs needed to overcome the hurdles that exist in taking SSBs from the lab scale to the prototype scale. In this role, the Solid State Battery Cell Modeling Engineer will interact with research and development and manufacturing partners within Ford, in addition to suppliers and Joint Venture partners to collectively deliver future cell technologies that meet the challenges of automotive propulsion. In this role, the candidate will
- Develop and employ SSB battery models to improve the operational characteristics and design of batteries fabricated at Ford Ion Park. The models may be wide-ranging in scope to address challenges at the material, electrode, and cell levels.. Examples may include physics-based, empirical, life, interfacial, microstructural, and electrochemical-thermal-mechanical models.
- Work with teammates to validate models using SSB electrodes and cells built at Ford Ion Park.
- Collaborate with teammates and Ford partners to model and improve the cell manufacturing process.
- Participate in the cell design and sizing process to meet capacity, energy, and power design targets; collaborate with team members to modify design based on test results.
- Transfer knowledge to key partners in the form of Technical Design Reviews and documentation.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience in battery product development, manufacturing, or research that include examples of modeling (may include graduate thesis work and post-doctoral fellowships).
- Non-citizens must have the ability to receive a license to legally work with Export Controlled technology in the USA.
Our preferred requirements:
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Experience with advanced Li-ion and/or sulfide solid electrolyte chemistries is desirable.
- Experience with COMSOL and MATLAB.
- Demonstrated record of team-oriented research and engineering.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and spoken)
What you'll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you'll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You'll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we'd love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford's benefits and compensation, click here:
At Ford, the health and safety of our employees is our top priority. Vaccination has been proven to play a critical role in combatting COVID-19. As a result, Ford has made the decision to require U.S. salaried employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless employees require an accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or an approved medical or religious exemption.
Job Number: 62432BR
Community / Marketing Title: Solid State Battery Cell Modeling Engineer
Location_formattedLocationLong: Romulus, Michigan US