Quantum Algorithm Researcher
Location: Dearborn, Michigan US
Job Number: 1623
Ford Motor Company is moving into a new phase of its 100+ year history, one in which software is at the heart of its future. The automobile is being re-defined as a networked computing platform upon which an ever-evolving set of on and off vehicle applications are being developed, allowing us to create exciting new mobility related consumer experiences. While many such experiences can be developed using conventional computing hardware, more complex applications, including traffic optimization, autonomous vehicle machine learning, vehicle route planning, and material sciences require that we explore emerging alternative computing platforms including quantum computing. Quantum computing has shown significant promise in helping solve many of these problems. Ford has strategic plans to actively pursue quantum computing research internally and also in partnership with external organizations, as evidenced by ourrecent collaboration with NASA. As a part of this initiative, Ford has allocated resources required for the growth of our internal quantum computing research team.
This position is located at Ford's Research and Innovation Center in Dearborn, MI or Palo Alto, CA. Resume, Cover Letter, or Portfolio material are appreciated, and encouraged with applications.
- Conduct independent and team-based research to develop quantum algorithms that are relevant to Ford's business needs.
- Leverage the capabilities of existing and upcoming quantum computing technology for proof-of-concept demonstration of quantum or hybrid optimization algorithms relevant to automotive use cases.
- Engage various cross-functional research teams within Ford to create and maintain a repository of use cases requiring quantum or other advanced computing technology for computational advantage.
- Support Ford's quantum computing initiative disseminating up-to-date news on emerging technology and business trends to the broader team.
- Educate the broader Ford team on Quantum Computing concepts, the technology's potential, and value.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- PhD in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in an academic, research and/or applied industry environment.
- 2+ years of experience in Quantum Computation/Quantum algorithms.
- 1+ years of postdoctoral or equivalent research experience in Quantum algorithm.
- Proven leadership in Quantum Algorithm research, specifically in Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum (NISQ) algorithms.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new Quantum algorithms and deep familiarity with current Quantum, hybrid, and Quantum-inspired algorithms.
- Experience in implementing quantum algorithms using Quantum assembly language programming.
- Evidence of intellectual depth as demonstrated by external publications and/or patents.
- Excellent communication skills and a strong desire to work with technical and non-technical audiences.
The distance between imagination and ... creation. It can be measured in years of innovation, or in moments of brilliance. When you join the Ford team discover all the benefits, rewards and development opportunities you'd expect from a diverse global leader. You'll become part of a team that is already leading the way, with ingenious solutions and attainable products - and it is always ready to go further.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
Job Number: 32293BR
Community / Marketing Title: Quantum Algorithm Researcher
Location_formattedLocationLong: Dearborn, Michigan US